What is Relaxation Massage?
Relaxation massage uses smooth and long strokes. The primary purpose will be to help you relax: calm your nervous system, relieve stress and promote a sense of well being.
The therapist won’t work at your limit of pain in order to release tension in the body. During a relaxation massage there is less emphasis on working out serious adhesions or knots in the muscle tissue. Some people go into such a deep relaxation that they even fall asleep.
A relaxation massage has substantial health benefits: improving blood circulation and stimulating the body’s lymphatic system, which carries away waste products, helps with insomnia, promotes clarity of mind and emotional balance.
The Benefits of Relaxation Massage Therapy
- Relaxation massage lowers stress levels by reducing the amount of the stress hormone cortisol in the body, removing tension, creating a feeling of ease and mental clarity, and uplifting the mood.
- Relaxation massage reduces muscular tension. The incorporation of deep diaphragmatic breathing during the session enhances this result.
- The relaxing tempo and longer strokes of relaxation massage promote increased cardiac return and lymphatic flow, bringing freshly oxygenated blood to all the muscles and fascia of the body. Improved circulation promotes tissue healing and overall health.
- When the body relaxes, troublesome areas become more apparent and easier for the therapist to access and address. The therapist can use deeper pressure to work on the problem areas in the course of creating full-body relaxation.
- Touch is therapeutic. Many of us have a shortage of physical contact in our lives. Massage addresses the primal animal need for touch and creates a profound sense of well-being.
The state of relaxation and enhanced self-awareness that is achieved after a session has far-reaching benefits that have a positive impact on all areas of your health and your life. It’s important to regularly re-connect with yourself through massage.
If you feel that work or life is becoming too demanding on your body, or if you feel you need a space to be calm and relax and clear your mind, consider the benefits of a full-body relaxation massage. It’s an important part of taking good care of yourself.
*Content source: Integrated Therapies